Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"The Gates, Central Park, New York City, 1979-2005"

Theresa Spath
Artist: Christo and Jeanne-Claude

I picked out this sculpture because it really caught my attention. I personally remember when "the Gates" existed and I remember seeing them in person when I was young. A few years ago, I found out that the artists are also residents in my town and I grew up seeing them at the beach everyday of every summer. I had actually met these famous people. Although they look so simple, "The Gates" were in the works for years, and many people were opposed to them being there. They stretched for twenty-three miles long and brightened up Central Park, even in the dead of winter, with their bright orange panels. I thought it was really interesting that this sculpture is actually a sculpture, but after learning in class that the sculpture is a 3-dimensional object, it made much more sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment