Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Erica Romanelli - La Nona Ora



La Nona Ora (The Ninth Hour)

Maurizio Cattelan





As I was flipping through our textbook this sculpture really captured my attention. I think this sculpture caught my attention more than others because I first saw the bright red carpet. Seeing as I am a Roman Catholic I was curious as to what the artist was trying to portray and why a very sacred person in my religion was being crushed by a meteor. While researching this piece I found much controversy over the meaning of this sculpture. The true meaning is still not clear however, there are many interpretations to it and many people of the Roman Catholic were very offended. I think that the title of the work is significant in the Catholic Church because it suggests mourning and the hour of Christ's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment